River restoration projects
EKOenergy’s Environmental Fund
EKOenergy finances river restoration projects to mitigate the impact hydropower generation has on nature. It’s one of the ways consumers of EKOenergy-labelled hydropower make a positive difference.
- For each megawatt-hour sold as EKOenergy hydropower, a contribution of at least 0.10 euro (ten eurocents) is paid into EKOenergy’s Environmental Fund. These contributions are used to finance the implementation of river restoration projects.
- The projects take place in the countries where EKOenergy-labelled hydropower has been produced or where it has been sold.
- We don’t manage the projects by ourselves. Once a year we organise a call for projects and a jury of independent experts helps us select the best and most impactful proposals. All measures are implemented by experienced organisations.
We financed the first projects in 2015 and since then, we have financed 21 projects with a total sum of 398,200.00 €.
River stories: examples of financed river restoration projects
Map with all financed projects
So far, most of the projects are in Finland, where most of the EKOenergy-labelled hydropower is being sold. We are looking forward to supporting nature and river ecosystems in many other countries too! Contact us for more information.
More information about the financed river projects
For more information and updates about the river restoration projects that are financed through our Environmental Fund:
- See EKOenergy’s accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, Flickr and Xing.
- Feel free to subscribe to our Newsletter too.
- See the websites of the organisations that implemented the projects.
- Or have a look at the following “River Stories”. More will come!